.
Faith will make you able to please the LORD each day
Hope will help your heart to know that GOD will make a way
Love will be the greatest gift, for love will see you through
In everything you do, I will always pray these gifts for you
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Is Caden a colic baby???


Caden has been crying so much at around early evenings (start at about 7pm and could end as late as 1am) It started about a week ago and it drives me crazy. I tried to soothe him, give him my breast (which used to help), rock him, let him listen to a music, etc...but unfortunately, none helpped. So I went to the doctor and asked their opinion about it, they told me Caden may be a colic baby. I was very dissapointed, I heard about colic baby often but never ever think that Caden will fall under that category. I mean he is such an angel in the morning and afternoon, but at night time he seems like a totally different person. The doctor assured me that there is nothing to worry about and I did nothing wrong in my pregnancy days or now -- being a new mom. While the doctor keep telling me that my breast-milk is the best option for Caden and is actually enough for him, Ai Ayun and mom believe that Caden cries because he is not getting enough milk. I try to convince them that they are wrong as Caden was still gaining weight, unfortunately, they don't want to listen. So Caden has been given formula quite a lot. I have to pump my milk and see how much milk I get and then Ai will add that with formula to a correct measure. I told them that Caden does not need that much milk per fedding but again, they won't listen. So, alone without Paul and battling between 2 older women whom they think that they know better even from the doctors, I give up. I let them do whatever they want to Caden about this feeding schedules.

So back to the colic problem, I try to search the internet about it and found lots of articles regarding it. I read it and understand more about it butttttt...no real solution for it...*sigh.* Colic baby is just a term used to describe uncontrollable crying in an otherwise healthy baby (usually under 5 months old). Satistic said about about 20 percent of all babies become colicky, usually starting between 2 and 4 weeks of age. Sixty percent of babies will be through the worst of it by 3 months, and 90 percent are better by 4 months of age. *sigh* So Caden will cry a lot every night for the next 3-4 months? Doctors and articles on the internet says the same thing, that I just have to be patient and love him as much as I can. Other ways that I try and it somehow works sometimes:


  • Give him a pacifier
  • Rock him
  • Warm his belly -- I use "minyak telon" bought from Indonesia
  • Swaddle him

Doing the methods above sometimes helps him to calm down but if not, we would just keep rocking him and put him in motion until he is tired and drift to sleep. It was hard at first to see him cry so much but after time I know I have done my best. I am also thankful that although Paul is not here to help me, there is Ai Ayun who help me to cope with this. I just hope that this constant crying will end soon. Can't wait!!!








==> one of his bad mood night.....Ai Ayun carried him in a kanggoro style sling which I bought a few weeks earlier for him --- hopping he will feel like he is still inside my womb.

No comments: