.
Faith will make you able to please the LORD each day
Hope will help your heart to know that GOD will make a way
Love will be the greatest gift, for love will see you through
In everything you do, I will always pray these gifts for you
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 26, 2007

is it time for the second child?

Caden -- GOD's most precious gift to me!
shopping @ Toys R' Us --- Caden first time sitting in a shopping cart

The happiness and love that Caden brought into our life is beyond measure. Now as Caden gets older, many of our friends and family encourage us to have our second child soon.

While one of the arguments would be for Caden to have friend/s at the same age group, I tend to see it differently. Caden is now the center of all our attention – he is the first child, first grandchild from both side of the family and first great-grandchild, too, therefore he gets attention from practically everybody, particularly from Paul and I. I would feel bad if I were to have another child when Caden is still too young to understand that he has to ‘share’ mom’s and dad’s love to another little person (who usually need more attention than him). I think waiting until Caden is 3-4 years would be better for him, I hope that by that time he would understand more and had already get enough of my love and attention

There are lots of pros (and just as many cons!) to have children closer together but for me having a sister that is almost the same age as mine (only 1.5 years apart) was not totally a wonderful experience, I believe farther apart would be much better for siblings. The bigger one would be able to take care of the smaller one and guide him/her as the older brother.

Well, when weigh things up there's never a 'right' time to have a second baby. Ask any mother and she'll tell you that life is certainly very challenging with two children, whatever the age gap. However, choosing the right time to have a second baby is a very personal decision. If you ask any group of parents you're likely to find that they'll be equally split between having children close together and spacing births apart. As for my family, after all consideration, we think we rather wait for a while and give Caden all the attention while preparing him for the arrival for his brother/sister through sharing and some other ways to make him accept him/her as his friend, not the enemy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your decision to have a second child later.
It will be good for both sides (caden and his parents) psychologically and emotionally.Last but not least, both you and your husband also have time to reconstruct your intimate marriage relationship. This means that you can have a warm conversation only between you and your husband.
I hope I don't confuse you..

-Thank you-

Claudia Iliadi said...

thanks for your input, anonymous! Will keep that in mind.

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing the right thing, girl!

Linda said...

But.. Caden want a little sisterrr.. hahaha.. j/k..

Aku juga setuju waktu kamu sempat mention mau enjoy your time with little Caden =))

Caden is very lucky to have such a dedicate mommy like you!!